Fundraiser in Solidarity with CSAAWU farmworkers strike
21 May 2019 from 18:00 – 20:30
1 Batter Lane, Main Road, Mowbray.
Oak Valley workers and CSAAWU take on poverty wages (R160 per day) and old apartheid practiced at Oak Valley Farm. The farm continues to perpetuate racial divisions amongst farmworkers. For example black farm workers are forced to live in same sex hostels whilst so-called coloured farmworkers live in family units.
They have been on strike since the 6 May. They are demanding the following:
1. A modest R250 a day wage.
2. That all hostels be transformed into family units.
3. An end to labour broker practices that leaves workers unprotected from abuse from farmers.
Local communities in Grabouw came out in solidarity with the farm workers’ strike and joined in their protest along the N2 highway.
Oak Valley is a mixed farm, producing red meat, fruit, wine and flowers. It supplies flowers to high end supermarkets like Woolworths.
– Screening of Bitter Grapes
– Discussion with Oak Valley farm workers
– Wine/beer/juice and popcorn on sale. Please bring a donation (what you can).
For more information contact Annuschka 071 356 1877 or Rekang 067 016 6102
Leave a Reply