The Alternative Information and Development Centre (AIDC) is looking for a dynamic young
person to lead our climate and energy work, which is a critical component of our Alternatives to
Extractivism and Climate Change programme. This is a full-time 12-month contract running from
1 August 2022 to 31 July 2023. The position is based in Cape Town. Remuneration is based on
qualifications and experience.
AIDC is a Cape Town-based NGO, established in 1996 to support trade unions and social
movements undertaking struggles for a wage-led, low-carbon development path. Our mission
is to produce and promote alternative knowledge and analysis as well as to undertake popular
education and trainings geared towards enabling popular movements advancing struggles for
social, economic and ecological justice to engage with the intersecting crises flowing from the
natural, economic and social challenges confronting humanity.
AIDC’s strategy for 2022 to 2024 is centered around Building Alternatives and Resistance for a
Just Transition from Below. This includes developing alternatives to the intersecting economic
and ecological crises.
Climate Justice Officer’s key responsibilities:
- Undertake research and analysis of the decarbonisation of SA’s Economy;
- Engagement with Government Policies on combating climate change and advancing a just
- Conduct capacity-building initiatives on climate change, decarbonization and climate jobs
with trade union formations and social movements;
- Develop popular materials (including briefing papers, fact sheets, infographics etc…) on
combating climate change and advancing a just transition for trade unions and social
- Support campaigns for climate and ecological justice; and
- Represent AIDC perspectives in various climate justice and energy forums and platforms
including writing opinion pieces and conducting media interviews on AIDC climate justice
• Post-graduate degree advantageous but not mandatory;
• Proven research and writing ability;
• Commitment to social, economic and ecological justice; and
• Affinity to working with trade unions and social movements.
Application process: To apply for the vacancy please send a CV with a cover letter to email@example.com by 15 July 2022.
Leave a Reply