This is a call to join the Cape Town Climate Strike this Friday 15th March!
Inspired by Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg, hundreds of students and activists will gather in Cape Town outside parliament and stand up for the climate as part of the global movement.
12 noon: Meet under Louis Botha’s horse outside Parliament
1 – 3pm Speakers and performers (see line up at https://fridaysforfuture.org.za/programme/)
“We, the youth of Cape Town, declare our intention to stand beside Greta Thunberg and our comrades across Europe, Australia, NZ and North America in the Global Strike for Climate on Friday 15th March, 2019. We call upon our peers across the continent to rise up and join us to protest the negligence of our leaders to address the environmental crisis which is exacerbating poverty and inequality. […]
We demand that SA political parties acknowledge the climate emergency and commit to:
- Making climate action the priority of the 2019 election
- A moratorium on new coal, oil and gas mining licences
- 100% renewable energy in the electricity sector by 2030
- A Green New Deal for South Africa
- Initiating climate adaptation education in schools”