Manufactured Consent: Power, Media and Think-tanks
Thanks to Donald de Groen and Amy O’Donoghue for their research support
Sources for infographics
- Source of media companies: Business Insider; Board interlocks indicates the official affiliations of the company’s executive board members and were sourced fromcrunchbase.com and the relevant media company websites.
- Media concentration in the US: New York Times and Future of Music Coalition (FMC). The data on radio is from a FMC report in 2002 but two of the 10 listed (Cumulus and Citadel) merged in 2011.
- Digital empires: Leading social networks from Smartinsights.com. Traffic to news website from Parsely.com
- Post-truth: Survey of trust by Quinnipiac University; see also Washington Post; how informed media consumers from Business Insider
- Google’s political web: Check out http://googletransparencyproject.org
- Breitbart.com donations from Public Integrity and Washington Post
- List compiled using data from Penn University Thinktank Index. Thinktanks revenue, assets and board members from their websites. Board interlocks include not only present affiliations of board members but also past affiliations and career.
- Graphic and information on Trump and thinktanks from muckety.com influence of Heritage Foundation from National Review and Monbiot/Guardian